Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Blueberry Cloud Pie

Well hello Lovelies!
   This week I wanted a lighter dessert so I immediately knew I want something with fruit.  Skimming through cookbooks I stopped on the lovely blue pie.  The main cloud shows a promise of fulfilling the lightness I wanted and blueberries are fantastic.  Win/win right? Kind of...I'll explain at the end.

Crust: Rice cereal, mini marshmallows, and butter

Add marshmallows

and butter to saucepan

heat on medium heat

until marshmellows are melted

then add cereal to mix (try not to spill it like I did)

Mix until cereal is coated

Pour into greased pie plate

push into bottom and up sides of plate

add boiling water to jello mix and stir until dissolved

add cool water once dissolved and...

whisk!

Let set in fridge for about an hour (I'd actually recommend 45mins)

add cool whip

I just like the color contrast in this picture

and mix!


when it looks like a fluffy blue cloud you can stop lol

add your blueberries


then pour into prepared "crust"

smooth out evenly

add extra cool whip and blueberries to the top

Viola! Blueberry Cloud Pie

Then serve

And enjoy!
Now the consensus for this pie was that it was meh.  It was nice light and airy but the blueberries added an odd texture and if I made this again I'd do a blueberry puree instead.  Also the recipe calls for you to make your own whipped cream but in the Texas heat it separates so easily so I kind of Sandra Lee'd the recipe and used cool whip.  The second problem: If you don't eat it all in one night the "crust" goes soggy. So its not a bad recipe just needs improvement!


Blueberry Cloud Pie
1-1/4 C mini marshmellows
3 Tbsp butter, cubed
2-1/2 C crisp rice cereal
1 pkg (3oz) berry blue jello
1/2 C boiling water
1/2 C cold water
2 C heavy whipping cream
5 Tbsp powdered sugar 
       or 3 C cool whip
1-2/3 C fresh blueberries
Additional fresh blueberries

  1. In a large saucepan, combine marshmallows and butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until marshmallows are melted. Stir in cereal.  With greased hands, press onto the bottom and up the side of a greased 9-in. pie plate; set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, dissolve jello in boiling water; stir in cold water. Refrigerate until partially set, about 1 hour. (I'd actually only do it for 45mins)
  3. In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar; beat until soft peaks form. (Sorry I don't have pictures to show this step).
  4. Fold berries and 3 Cups whipped cream into the jello. Pour into pie crust. Refrigerate pie and remaining whipped cream for up to 4 hours. Garnish with reserved cream and additional blueberries.
Yield: 6-8 servings   

No comments:

Post a Comment