So I got back to some baking yesterday and went through tons of recipes to pick out my favorite. I really wanted to make cherry vanilla cupcakes and found so many good recipes. I decided to try both maraschino and fresh cherry versions and see which I like better; then I thought it would be a fun addition to the blog to do a challenge a couple of times a month (I'd like to do it weekly but lets face it life gets in the way sometimes).
Cherry Almond Vanilla Cupcakes Recipe I used here
1/2 cup butter (I used a cup of butter)
4 egg whites
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup maraschino cherry juice
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
12 maraschino cherries, halved (I used several cherries chopped up)
1 recipe Cherry-Almond Butter Frosting
Maraschino cherries with stems (optional)
1. Allow butter and egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, line twenty-four 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups (or coat with cooking spray). In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. In a 2-cup glass measuring cup combine buttermilk and cherry juice; set aside.
|Take this time to drain your cherries|
|Make sure you keep the juice!|
|Buttermilk and cherry juice|
|Whisk it together|
3. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each about two-thirds full. Use the back of a spoon to smooth out batter in cups. Press a cherry half into batter in each cup.(Or add chopped cherries)
4. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool cupcakes in muffin cups on wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from muffin cups. Cool completely on wire racks.
5. Using a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip, pipe Cherry-Almond Butter Frosting over tops of cupcakes. If desired, top with cherries. Makes 24 (2-1/2-inch) cupcakes.
Cherry-Almond Butter Frosting: Allow 1/2 cup butter to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Gradually add 1 cup powdered sugar, beating well. Beat in 3 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice or milk and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract. Gradually beat in 3 cups additional powdered sugar. If necessary, beat in additional juice or milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until frosting reaches a spreading consistency. Makes 2 cups frosting.
Cherry Vanilla Cupcakes Recipe I used here
22-24 regular cupcakes / 375-350 degree oven
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature1. Beat butter on high until soft, about 30 seconds.
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
2. Add sugar. Beat on medium-high until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
3. Add eggs one at a time, beat for 30 seconds between each.
4. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Add to mixer bowl. Add the milk and vanilla. Mix to combine.
5. Scoop into cupcake papers about half to two-thirds full (depending on whether you want flat or domed cupcakes).
6. Bake for 22-25 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean. (I put them in for 20mins and they were over done. Check by 18 mins.)
2 cups cherries, pitted, fresh or frozen1. Add cherries, water, and vanilla to a pot. Cook for 10 minutes over medium-high heat.
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2. Stir together sugar and cornstarch then stir into the cherries.
3. Cook until thick, about 20 minutes.
I took pictures of the process but I was honestly so disappointed in the cupcake its a waste of upload. I did love the filling though!
In this challenge maraschino won!