Saturday, January 14, 2012

Did Someone Say Treasure??

Howdy My Loves!
So I've been promising my famous hidden treasures and TA DA here they are!!
These are buttery and soft...and stuffed with cherries...and dipped in milk chocolate.  Did your taste buds explode?  Good!  The first time I made these it took me nearly an entire day but I've made them the last 6+ years for the holidays so it is safe to say I've made hundreds of these.  They get quicker with practice.  My father having a sweet tooth like me frequently eats treats right out of the oven; and because of this we have discovered the undipped cookies fresh out of the oven are JUST as good as the dipped ones.  I recently read a similar recipe using caramels and instead of dipping in chocolate dusting with powdered sugar.  Definitely going to have to explore that this year. Anyways, without further ado...



Cherries!


Roll them into little balls
Enjoy!

I like mine with a large glass of iced milk!!



Hidden Treasures
Crisco Cookie Collection 1989

Cookies
2/3 C Butter Flavor Crisco
3/4 C Sugar
1 Egg
1 Tbsp Milk
1 Tsp Vanilla
1 3/4 C AP Flour
1 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
48 Maraschino cherries, well drained on paper towels

Chocolate for Dipping
2 C Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips (I use Milk Chocolate)
2 Tbsp Butter Flavor Crisco

Preparation
  1. Heat oven to 350 F. (My oven is a little hotter so I set it on 345F)
  2. Cream Crisco, sugar, egg, milk, and vanilla in large bowl at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended.
  3. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.  Beat into creamed mixture at low speed.
  4. Press dough in very thin layer around well drained cherries. (I use a small cookie scoop and it is the perfect size.  Also, have a small bowl of flour out to keep on your hands.  Helps the dough stop from sticking.  Once you have scooped the dough out place it in the palm of your hand and use 2 fingers from your other hand to flatten it.  Then cover cherry and roll into a ball).  Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet.
  5. Bake for 10 mins.  (For super soft cookies bake 10-11 minutes for more done cookies leave in 12-14 minutes).  Cool one minute on baking sheet.  Remove to cooling rack.  Cool completely.
  6. For Dipping Chocolate, melt chocolate and crisco on very low heat or 50% power in Microwave. Stir.
  7. Tranfers chocolate to glass measuring cup.  Drop one cookie at a time into chocolate.  Use fork to turn.  Cover completely with chocolate.  Lift cookie out of chocolate on fork.  Allow all excess to drip off.  Place on wax paper-lined baking sheet.
The book also recommends white chocolate which we didn't care for and different toppings to sprinkle on.  You can try white chocolate shavings, chopped pecans, chopped walnuts, sprinkles, sanding sugar, or caramel drizzles.

No comments:

Post a Comment